The first wave of solar farms that appeared in the summer of 2011 were mainly built by European contractors and Ardenham was part of the picture with a German development partner. The fast track review last spring brought developments to a halt in August when Feed in Tariffs (FiTs) for solar farms were cut by 70%.
Since then the price of solar panels has tumbled and system installation costs have come down with them. Ardenham has its own wholesale distribution division and has been a trail blazer in reducing costs.
As a result of this success in reducing costs, solar farms have become viable again based on their export income and the Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs) that they earn. This is an exciting development and Ardenham is busy blowing the dust off mothballed projects.
We are involved both as a developer and as an EPC contractor, so whether you have a site you would like built or a site you would like to lease for development, Ardenham Energy should be your first port of call.
For all enquiries contact Harry Shepherd-Cross on 0800 369 8986
The key to success for any solar farm is the grid connection but there are some other key site requirements:
- 25 – 30 acres
- Flat ground or gently sloping to south
- No rights of way across the land
- No obstructions in the ground so that the frames can be piled
- Site not obviously visible from neighbouring houses
- Site outside special protection areas such as National parks, AONB’s etc
- Accessible by road or track to site entrance
- Site not liable to flooding
- Site not overlooked by adjacent high ground
- Single ownership
- No large trees, mobile telephone masts or other structure which would cast a shadow on the land
- No adverse planning history
- MOST IMPORTANTLY – the site needs to be within 1 mile of a 33kv-11KV substation. Ideally the site would have access across the owners land or along highway land to the substation in case a new line is required back to the substation.
For further information or to arrange a site survey, contact Harry Shepherd-Cross on 0800 369 8986.
Call Me Back
Fill in the form below and we will call you back to discuss your requirements.
Ardenham did an excellent job for us ... we were really impressed with them. They were inspirational.
Popko Westerhuis, Rockells Farm, Essex. View all testimonials